The Dog Hut
'Sara Hart is an exceptional dog groomer, not only because of her skills and vast knowledge but her immense understanding and empathy for dogs'.
'We aim to create a restful and calm working environment within all of our services.
What your dog dreams for'
Professional De-Shedding Treatments available for short coated breeds.
Professional, educational lectures and fund raising talks available throughout the year.
1-2-1 Master Classes available for dog groomers and groom your own dog sessions.
The Dog Hut are UK leaders, experts and campaigners for professionalism and welfare within the dog grooming and dog training & behaviour industry.
Opening Times and Bookings
Salon Opening Times
The Dog Hut is open Tuesdays to Saturdays.
Mostly by appointment only please, however please call to see if we have any cancellations we will always try to accommodate where we can. Telephone 01323 890041
Behavioural Referral Clinic Opening Times
The behavioural clinic is open from Tuesdays to Saturdays by veterinary referral only, please call to discuss how we may be able to help.
Booking an Appointment - Don't expect a rushed job!
Every dog is different in temperament, age, breed and physical ability and therefore may need different handling and a different approach to grooming.
Bookings are made appropriate to the dog's needs established during discussion on the telephone or in person. However, this may change during your initial consultation when the dog groomer will have further opportunity to advise you.
You will need to have your dog's details to hand, including:
* their age and sexual status,
* last vaccination or complimentary alternative, but not essential,
* details of any allergies, illness, disease or injuries past and present please
* the name and telephone number of your vet,
* a contact telephone number for when your dog is with us,
* usual commands your dog is familiar with,
* details of any known behavioural traits.
Please make sure of the following:
1. Your dog has had opportunity to go to the toilet before coming to the salon.
2. That your dog has not eaten a full meal for at least 2 hours prior to coming to their grooming appointment.
3. Please bring suitable higher value food treats of a small size, like sausage, so we can apply appropriate rewards as required to help shape their behaviour. Food treats are not bribes but can be used appropriately during both classical and operant conditioning and help most dogs to enjoy their grooming session. Please remember to inform us of any allergies that your dog may have.
4. Bring any medication that may be needed during the time your dog is with us with clear instructions on dispensing. Hopefully this would not be needed.
5. If your dog will be losing a lot of coat such as when a full clip off is required, it may be advisable to bring a coat or jumper for your dog post groom (depending on the weather).
New Clients - please allow at least 10 minutes to complete your initial consultation during your first visit to the salon.
Existing Clients - Please allow at least five minutes when dropping your dog off to check your details and complete any up date required. (You may be able to park on the Double Yellow lines outside the Salon- however The Dog Hut.Biz takes no responsibility for this choice).
All Clients - Please allow sufficient time for the dog groomer to assess your dog's needs when you drop them off for their appointment.
All Clients - Please allow sufficient time when collecting your dog to receive feedback from your dog groomer.
Payment Methods - The Dog Hut is happy to accept card payments, Paypal payments and cash. Sorry, we no longer accept payment by cheques. We can provide details for BACS payments but please note The Dog Hut's Payment Terms and Conditions which may be emailed to you when you book your appointment.
The Dog Hut Groomers Forum: Sorry to those that are asking, our Forum is only for our students and ex students to use, for chatting and sharing study information, helping each other, and sharing thoughts and experiences in a safe and supportive environment. Our students can ask to join by visiting our Facebook Page and searching for CSC Student Forum. https://www.facebook.com/TheDogHut.Biz/
"We welcome diversity & promote equality, in all aspects of our lives'.
We understand that he word diversity means “varied and different” and we believe in supporting variety and individual differences by creating a culture, environment and practices that respect and value diversity. We believe that equality is about accepting the right to be different and the right to be free from discrimination. To have choice and dignity and to be valued as an individual, with a right to your own beliefs and values"
- Dean Hart, The Dog Hut.
The Dog Hut and Duty of Care
The Duty of Care within the Animal Welfare Act 2006* applies to the owner of an animal, anyone in charge of an animal, and a parent or guardian of a child under 16 years.
This means that when The Dog Hut looks after your dog we have a duty of care to provide for its welfare and we take this seriously, not just because of legislation but because we have compassion within our profession. This is one reason why we take our time with your dog, we apply appropriate handling and will not tolerate heavy restraint or restraint equipment or use excessively loud dryers or blasters.
* Anyone found in breach of this Act may be banned from owning animals for life, fined up to £20,000.00, and/or be sent to prison.
Our opening times at the grooming salon may vary given that we also deliver behavioural consultations away from this address, and can be called away for emergencies. So to avoid a wasted journey, please do not call without confirming your possible arrival!
Usual Opening Times
Tuesdays 9 am to 5.30 pm
Wednesdays 9 am to 5.30 pm
Thursdays Behavioural Consultations & Staff Training only
Fridays 9 am to 5.30 pm
Saturdays 9 am to 5.30 pm
We may be able to offer 'one off' early or later bookings as required for our regular clients. Please call to discuss your need on 01323 890041.
If you have a query and would rather email then you can contact us by using the form below.
The Dog Hut Codes of Best Practice, Animal Welfare, Ethics, Policies and Procedures
The Dog Hut operates within strict policies and procedures to maintain health, welfare, safety and professional practice within the dog grooming salon and these are applied to all services on offer.
We adhere to the Animal Welfare Act of 2006 and in doing so will report incidences of animal neglect should we come across them at any time.
We also work within a strict code of ethics and animal welfare that reflects our strong believe in animal care.
We also comply fully with the Data Protection Act updated in 2018 to maintain the safety of our client information.
See below a quick glance on the Animal Welfare Act key points.
Five Basic Welfare Needs
The Animal Welfare Act of 2006 states that the Five Basic Welfare Needs of Pets should be provided and that owners have a Duty of Care to provide them.
1. The need for a suitable environment
2. The need for a suitable diet which includes fresh water at all times
3. The need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
4. The need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals as required
5. The need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.